search  current discussion  categories  business - money 

what's the best sprayer money can buy?

updated wed 8 feb 06


Sam or Mary Yancy on mon 6 feb 06

If you are just "blasting" glaze on, perhaps use a quality sandblaster gun in which the expensive ones come with ceramic nozzles which are designed to use high pressure grit, carburandum and sand products and not have nozzle wear out as the grit (and/or glaze) passes through them. They basically work the same as a spray gun but very rough control. On the sandblaster gun, the on/off valve is a blocking plate over the nozzle front - with no needle to mess with. But I think perhaps you are not straining the glazes and/or not cleaning the spray gun{s} properly after use? Either that or you are spraying so much glaze that you are wearing our the nozzle/needle assembly??? You can check that easily by eyeball or magnification. Suggest try cleaning first and getting ALL the grit out. i used to buy old and very expensive spray guns very cheap because "they didn't work" but a little soaking and cleaning made then as good as new...... Sam in Daly City

Paul B wrote: i am at a real turning point now - for over four years my business has
revolved around glazing almost every single pot with the harbor
freight "hvlp" gravity feed sprayer number 43430 with the special 2.2 mm
nozzle adapter. But i am getting less and less use out of them before they
stop working properly and i am having to find more creative ways to return
& exchange them for new ones, then repeat over and over.
What i need now is a good sprayer (one that runs off compressed air, no
point in getting a turbine-driven HVLP since i have a good shop compressor
that is plumbed throughout the whole studio) that will last a long time,
not something made in the same factory (where most of them are made) as the
harbor freight/campbell hausfeld/porter cable/devilbliss/etc. I am
convinced that they are all the same, just different colors, names, and
very different prices. But i need one with a large nozzle for spraying very
thick glazes that i can use extensively and not have to take back to a
store while in the middle of glazing a kiln load.
Does such a thing exist, and if so, how much does it cost?

Send postings to

You may look at the archives for the list or change your subscription
settings from

Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at

Tommy Humphries on mon 6 feb 06

At Marshall Pottery we use Binks products, particularly the model 7 spray
gun, along with a 30 gal. pressure tank. This gives a good consistent coat
with even the thickest material. We use the standard 36ss needles and tips,
along with the standard pattern nozzle.

Tommy Humphries.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul B"
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 5:20 PM