pdp1@EARTHLINK.NET on fri 10 sep 04
Neither (.raw') Linseed Oil (as such) nor (Pure, Gum spirits
of ) Turpentine are in any reasonable way 'poisonous', and
both may be obtained in U.S.P. grade.
The Commercial Grades are not likely to contain any
meaningful impurities, but in theory, are not obliged to be
as pure or uncontaminated of course, as the U.S.P.
(Pharmacy ) grade.
Health-Food-Stores carry Linseed Oil intended for human
dietary interests, and some Pharmacies still carry the
U.S.P. Turpentine., which, while not consumed, was and is
used topically, and or for it's benifient fumes.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Katz"
> I always use linseed oil mixed 50/50 with turpentine on
> Its easy to get inot the texture. I wipe off what I can a
> after applying it and the reapply .I use real turpentine
> it smells like painting. Do you think that will help my
> always with linseed oil spread your oily rag or steel
wool or oily
> whatever in the sun for a couple of days then wet it down
and place it
> in a plastic bag before disposing of it. Otherwise it may
> spontaineoulsy combust. Really! My wood comes from the
ocean and I
> rinse it well in clear fresh water several times to reduce
> of salt so it won't scum. Sometimes I dissolve a bit of
Damar resin in
> the mix. Linseed oil is not a particularly good food
surface. The oil
> is poisonous. I know nothing of E6000.