Jenny Lewis on wed 4 aug 04
In case anyone was wondering - since moving house things seem to have been as
chaotic as I would have expected them to be, and for various reasons the new
pottery studio has taken longer than I had hoped, but AT LAST!!! work has
The old brick outbuilding at the bottom of the garden was in a much worse
state than I had thought, which was a bit of a shock at first. However, it has
potential! I can see in my mind what it will be like after lots of work on it.
The builder started on Tuesday and he has now strengthened all the brickwork
(places built in about 1890/1900 start to look a bit bedraggled after a
while), and put in a heat retardant ceiling. The concrete floor looks a bit of a
disaster, but he has suggested floor tiles and I saw some stone ones that I
thought looked quite good. I figured that they would be no colder or harder
underfoot than bare concrete, and easier to clean. The roofer is due tomorrow, I
found an electrician, and I'm waiting for quotes from plumbers. For some
reason, the previous owners had put in electric wiring which is not normal in
domestic use, but will be ideal for a kiln - single phase, armoured cable, 10
somethings, sorry, I forget what - amps? volts? widgets? - anyway, electrician
will only have to extend it a short way instead of digging up the garden and
starting all over again. Which is nice, especially financially.
Most important of all, I've spent hours and hours looking through all my
catalogues trying to decide on a kiln and wheel and drawing up a wish-list of all
the other goodies that I imagine I couldn't possibly manage without - that's
the fun part!
The space is not huge, 12 ft by 6 ft, but I took advice from someone on
Clayart (thank you someone, and my apologies for forgetting who it was, but my
books and folders with useful notes etc are still in cardboard boxes) - drew a
plan to scale, and made some cut-out pieces to represent kiln, wheel, sink, etc.
On paper it works fine. Fingers crossed that the somewhat larger version
works as well. I plan to cover the walls with shelves, as far as possible, and
again thank you someone on Clayart!
The area leading to the darn narrow door (smaller kiln than at first
anticipated) is a bit of a weed jungle at the moment, or as I prefer to call it, a
wildflower meadow (naaah - they really are weeds). I'll clear it all out and put
some paving slabs down eventually, hoping to make a nice little outside area
for when it's not raining, to dry out pots, and glaze, etc.
So, that's where things are at the moment. It looks a mess, covered in dust,
but definitely showing signs of improving.
in Hot and Humid Hampshire
Jo Smith on wed 4 aug 04
If you get a kiln with separate rings you will be able to get it through the
narrow door in sections. Been there. Jo
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jenny Lewis"
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 12:55 PM
Subject: studio update
> The area leading to the darn narrow door (smaller kiln than at first
> anticipated) is a bit of a weed jungle at the moment, or as I prefer to
call it, a
> wildflower meadow (naaah - they really are weeds). I'll clear it all out
> some paving slabs down eventually, hoping to make a nice little outside
> for when it's not raining, to dry out pots, and glaze, etc.
> Send postings to firstname.lastname@example.org
> You may look at the archives for the list or change your subscription
> settings from http://www.ceramics.org/clayart/
> Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at
Oakford Farm on thu 5 aug 04
On 8/5/04 5:55 AM, "Jenny Lewis" wrote:
> However, it has
My wife the Potter talks like you and if something doesn't reach its
potential she says it has a Rustic look and for a Pottery Studio "Rustic" is
cool .... Harley Smith NZ