search  current discussion  categories  kilns & firing - shelves & furniture 

fire box/saggers

updated sun 7 dec 03


piedpotterhamelin@COMCAST.NET on sat 6 dec 03

Saggars have been in use within bottle kilns since the 18th century in industrial Europe, England, USA and elsewhere..the old Staffordshire term is shragger. When you place the pots into them it was called "bunging up". A stack of saggars is called a "Bung".
If the sagger interior is heavily glazed prior to the firing, the pot exterior will attract and form a thinly glazed surface called a "Smear Glaze" such as found on Wedgwood and Bennington pottery. So there are multiple uses for saggars..
In the saggar world, the apprentice would bang out the bottom slabs that form the saggars. His name was the "Bottom Banger".
I received from John Dellow "the flower pot man the following:
In an outer suburb of Brisbane Queensland Australia , there is a town called "
New Chum " . This town is the sight of one of the earliest pottery industries in Australia . It got its name from the Chum used for turning pots . The apprentice potters were called the " New Chums "and were only allowed to throw chums . In colloquial Australian a new chum is a new person ,in a work place etc.
Thought you would find it fun to know....

"Many a wiser men than I hath
gone to pot." 1649