Lisa Skeen on tue 30 sep 03
I had some of that mold tested by a biologist, and the black stuff is prolly Aspergillus Niger, which CAN cause skin irritation and lung problems. (That's also the stuff that gets in houses and people have to move out and never go back because of infestation, and insurance won't cover the damage or repairs.) I had some in a botched batch of paperclay and it irritated my fingers to the point I had to go to a dermatologist, and fingers are just now normal again after 9 months of splitting and other nasty stuff.
What I do now is spray the mold with 100% bleach in a mister. Mold on paperclay has been discussed extensively within the last 6 months or less; have a peek in the archives for more info. I have not found the mold to have any effect one way or another on how the clay performs, but mold is an indicator of rot (ie: the paper is rotting), so if it's molding badly, I say, use it fast. Another thing that might help is, keep your pug tightly wrapped with as little "loose" air in the bag as possible.
L. P. Skeen http://www.living-tree.net
Living Tree Pottery
> ----- Original Message -----
> Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 10:47 AM
> > hi-i bought a w5 lb bag of paper clay lots of black mold
> growing all over and in the clay. i would like to know if there is any way i can
> prevent the growth of this black smelly stuff and also if this stuff is bad
> for my health.
Craig Dunn Clark on tue 30 sep 03
Unless you are allergic to the mold, you would most likely know by now,
use it in good health. I bought a half ton of Axners p-clay and the coupla
hundred pounds left over molded. I used it without any adverse affects or
I am a true convert to the wonders of paper clay. Did not believe it until I
tried it. Pushed it to the limit when I filled a cracked seam in an already
bisqued pot, re-bisqued the pot to see what would happen. It worked! I'm not
kidding. This stuff is magic.
Craig Dunn Clark
619 East 11 1/2 st
Houston, Texas 77008
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 10:47 AM
> hi-i bought a w5 lb bag of paper clay which i use occassionaly. today
> went to grab a piece of paper clay i noticed lots of black mold growing
> over and in the clay. i would like to know if there is any way i can
> the growth of this black smelly stuff and also if this stuff is bad for my
> health. and now that is all over the clay can i stop it from growing.
> will it affect the use of the paper clay. would love to hearr from
> about this smelly, yucky problem.
> eleanor arkowitz
> in hanover n.h wherre the temperrature is starting to drop and with it the
> leaves from the trees.
> Send postings to firstname.lastname@example.org
> You may look at the archives for the list or change your subscription
> settings from http://www.ceramics.org/clayart/
> Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at