search  current discussion  categories  kilns & firing - salt & soda 

light soda ash and liner glaze

updated thu 21 nov 02


Janet Kaiser on wed 20 nov 02

Could it be that "Lite" or "Light" is a selling ploy? Because everyone is
so health-conscious, the label MAY be a their way of attracting sales?
Perhaps there is lower calorific or fat content? Pass... I dunno... You all
know I am a non-potting potter these days, but it sounds suspiciously like
a sales pitch to me. But what do I know? What do the producers / sellers

As for "liner glaze"... It is one of those rather sloppy expressions which
is understood by everyone to mean the glaze on the inside of vessels, such
as tea-pots, cups, jugs, etc. which is also usually assumed to be a light
colour, such as white, cream, grey, etc. REMEMBER: THAT IS ALL IT IS!!! It
does NOT mean anything beyond that!

There is absolutely no guarantee that what someone calls a "liner glaze",
is automatically "food-safe" nor does the expression itself infer any
specific quality/qualities. OK, many on this list and elsewhere will
think/assume that a glaze referred to as a "liner glaze" is for putting on
any surface which will come into contact with food or drink and is
therefore inherently safe.

HOWEVER that is only an assumed truism and so the expression "liner glaze"
can actually be anything from a slow-painful-death-though-leaching (lead,
cadmium, barium, etc.) to the great absolutely-stable, non-leaching,
which-you-could-feed-your-kids-off-from-birth-without-a-care glaze...

>>There is no expression such as "liner glaze" in his dictionary but he
translates "liner" by Futter, Ausmauerung, Wandauskleidung<<

Sorry, Edouard, but these are not the sort of "liner" or lining referred to

Futter... means a lining as in an extra layer (such as the lining of a coat
or skirt). "Doublure" in French?

Ausmauerung... When a (maybe extra) layer is built such as with bricks...
More like "to build" or "to add" a wall

Wandauskleiding... When an existing wall is lined or an extra layer is
added... more probably on the outside.

So, what, you ask is a "liner glaze" in German? Ha! I really cannot think,
not least because of the lack of a definition in English! Literally
translated it would be "Futterglazur", but I doubt that would mean anything
to a German speaking potter! Nikki und G=FCnter! Karin? Ralf? What would
you call a light-coloured glaze which is used on the inside of vessels in
contrast to the (usually darker) one you use on the outside?


Janet Kaiser - on the 7th anniversary of my Mother's death. Not a good day
to learn my blood pressure is 190/120 as well as suffering from acute chest
pains which the Doc also puts down to the same viral infection that is
affecting all joints. What do they say? Doctors bury their mistakes.... We
cremated Mum.

Janet Kaiser

The Chapel of Art =95 Capel Celfyddyd
8 Marine Crescent, Criccieth LL52 0EA, Wales, UK
Tel: 01766-523570 URL: