search  current discussion  categories  forms - plates 

glazing those big plates

updated thu 16 aug 01


Martin Howard on wed 15 aug 01

Just been to market in Braintree, Essex, England and found another very
useful tool.
There's a street trader there that always seems to have something useful for

It is a suction cup, heavy duty, made by Am-Tech. Sorry, I have no address
or telephone number for them, but assume they are in the UK somewhere.
It is sold for work on car panels and carrying windows, doors, mirrors etc.
But it works on my large plates.
Just make sure the surface is flat;
put the Suction Cup on it;
tighten and clip the two handles together and place the ware in the glaze
take it out and place ware on stilts;
release the handles and move to the next plate.
Look! no finger marks!
Only cost me 2.

Martin Howard
Webb's Cottage Pottery
Woolpits Road, Great Saling