search  current discussion  categories  kilns & firing - shelves & furniture 

castable refractory - kiln shelves?

updated wed 13 may 98


lpskeen on tue 12 may 98

> I have cast breaks in cast arches. I make the break in a stair step
> form with the lower portion of the set to the inside of the kiln. I
> have never cast a sprung arch type form , only cylinderical kilns
> with flat tops and cantenary arches..

I hadn't paid much attention to this thread, since it has been about
casting kiln arches; however, I just got my Laguna catalog and find that
kiln shelves are called cast refractories. Does anyone know how to make
your own kiln shelves?
Lisa Skeen
Living Tree Pottery & Soaps
"We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful
words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of
the good people." -- Dr. M. L. King, Jr. 4/16/63