search  current discussion  categories  kilns & firing - shelves & furniture 

words we use: "wadding"

updated tue 10 jul 12


Glenn Dair on mon 9 jul 12

In a fit of boredom and curiosity, I looked up the phonetic derivation of
"wadding", separating into syllables. Since this is a ceramic term, I went
to the Chinese.
Wa (with a little "V" over the A) is a tile.
Ding means to calm, or to fix.

Wa-ding is therefore stuff to fix a tile.

Now you know.

Glenn at Callanwolde (Atlanta, GA)