search  current discussion  categories  techniques - stains 

slips to underglaze: well i'll be.....

updated fri 30 dec 11


Eleanora Eden on thu 29 dec 11

I just went to Hamer and I would say "oops" but that is too political.....I=
know where I got this but it is the understanding I had since college so I =
just let it go.

Hamer is saying that engobe is something between slip and glaze; too many
non-clay components to call it slip but not really a glaze.

Happy New Year to y'all......


>Eleanora Eden wrote:
>"I think there is a nomenclature problem here. Slip, by definition, is a
>mixture that is applied to bisqueware, as contrasted with engobe, which ha=
>more clay and is made to apply to unfired ware. Commercial underglazes ar=
>fancy slips."
>Hi Eleanora -
>I know that there is a lot of confusion on the use of these two terms, but=
>do believe that the generally-accepted definitions are just the opposite o=
>what you suggest above. This is something I have been curious about for a
>long time and have tried to pay attention to usage in books and online
>dialogue. I was taught, and have always taught, that a slip is a simple
>clay mixture - basically just a watered down claybody, and in most cases i=
>best used on damp greenware. That seems to be pretty widely accepted
>whenever people refer to "slip-decoration," including slip-painting,
>slip-trailing, feather-combing, sgraffito, slip-layering, etc. The term
>"engobe" is a little more vague, but I have found it useful to use the ter=
>in reference to modified slips that contain more non-plastics and are for
>application to bone-dry greenware and to bisqueware. I am not saying that
>this is the "correct" usage of the term, but it has served me well, and so
>far no one has corrected me in my usage of the word "engobe." I'll be
>interested to read what others have to say about this.
>- Vince
>Vince Pitelka
>Appalachian Center for Craft
>Tennessee Tech University

Bellows Falls Vermont