search  current discussion  categories  business - liability & insurance 

insurance for homeowners having kilns-read

updated sat 26 may 07


Clayart SCtag on fri 25 may 07

Dear Denny,
This is advice everyone with a kiln in the home should read.I have been
telling potters I know, this ,

In a message dated 5/24/2007 8:18:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, writes:>
> Congratulations, Nikki on getting the kiln and having it connected. Your
> work will improve greatly with your own kiln.
> You asked about simply using fireproof drop ceiling tiles, and this would be
> a good first step, as a minimum.
> The tiles you would be looking for would be called "fire rated."
> A better step would be to rework the ceiling above the kiln area and install
> 5/8" thick firecode drywall.
> For an ideal installation, make a kiln room and line the ceiling and walls
> with firecode drywall. This type of drywall is usually readily available and
> does not cost a lot more than standard drywall.
> A final important note, insurance. You may want to have one of those "what
> if" conversations with your insurance agent. as in "what if I were to get a
> ceramic kiln and install it in the basement?"
> Mine insurance company's response when they found out I had a kiln was to
> immmediately drop the coverage - they fired me as a customer. We were able to
> persude them to give us 30 days to find a new carrier.
> Some insurers will not insure the building if it has a kiln in it. Other
> insurers will cover it with a special rider if it is for "hobby" use. But not if
> for business use.
> You do not want to be like the potter friend of mine whose entire studio
> burned down. Then his insurer told him he had no coverage, since he was using
> kilns for business use. (The kiln emphatically did not cause the fire.) He
> eventually got some payment, but not full replacement, after a battle with the
> insurer.
> This issue is one to get out on the table with your insurer before you need
> the coverage - not after there is a problem.
> Best of luck to you,
> Denny Means

See what's free at

Terrance Lazaroff on fri 25 may 07

The best advice is to call your insurance people and have them send a rep.
evaluate your kiln. They come look at it, take pictures, and then leave.
You will get a letter telling you what they will do. If they say take the
kiln out. You do so. If they `tell you to have it hard wired. Do so.
If they up the coverage costs and let you keep the kiln in operation. Pay
them. The part about business becomes more important when you have
customers entering your house to buy pots. Don't fool with the insurance
company. They have more legal people than we do. Be sure and ask for a
copy of the rider, and check every year, when they reissue your policy, to
ensure the rider is there.