Jack Troy on wed 8 oct 97
As a teacher I hesitate to tell someone not to do something.
Salt glazing in a saggar may seem like a good idea that just never caught on,
but in fact it very well might shorten the life of your electric kiln, if
sodium vapors escape from the saggar. But if you'd like to see for yourself, go
One thing I'd suggest is that you use saggars fired to stoneware temperatures,
and the sodium source be placed in stoneware containers also. One problem
with salting in saggars is the lack of currents or draft that helps distribute
the sodium vapors to the pieces. If you use salt, you'll note it can be very
corrosive to the container; it'll just eat its way through a raw or bisqued
cup, for example.
Sodium vapors have a way of not staying put; there's a good chance they may
breathe their dragon-breath on your kiln elements.
Maybe you could talk someone else into trying this experiment....