search  current discussion  categories  business - liability & insurance 

licenses and other inanities of commerce

updated wed 30 apr 97


Jeff Lawrence on sun 20 apr 97

> Jeanne Ormsby wrote:
> If it is confusing to you, consult a local CPA (plug, plug).

Sorry Jeanne, but I disagree.

For people with more money than time, or complicated finances accountants
are the proper route. Fine points are what they excel at. I hope to need one

As a point of pride, I reject the notion that living one's life competently
should require outside paid advice. If I am going to be a maker and seller
of goods, I feel an obligation to know the ins and outs of the activity.

Running a business is vanilla finance, though, and there are many
organizations (SBA, local community colleges, etc.) that will help you learn
it. Make a checklist of all your deadlines, track everything in your
computer, and look forward to the day when you need an accountant.

"Just say no to secular hierophants!"

Jeff Lawrence
Sun Dagger Design
ph/fax 505-753-5913